About Me

My photo
Detroit, Michigan, United States
I'm a punk rock guru from Detroit. Part skinhead, part crusty, part metalhead, part hardcore kid, part party kid, 100% punk rocker.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Death Invades Earth Interview from April 2010

Death Invades Earth interview:


1. So, how has death invaded earth? (i.e. how’d the band arise?)

D.I.E. started out as a 5 piece, and after a couple of practices we chose to be a 3 piece. 5 was too many for simple music. So we have me (Tony) on drums and vocals, Rob, bass and vocals, and Alan, guitars and back vocals.

2. What is the Flint music scene like now? Has it changed for better or worse since the days of Dissonance and others?

My first show I saw was Soul Side, with about 200 people at the show, it changed my life; I wanted to play drums. The scene went downhill due to violence. With past bands we were lucky to see 30 people. With D.I.E. lately, our shows have been doing good seeing around 60 to a 100 people in our hometown, and not too bad out of town.

3. Who recorded your first full-length? How do you feel it came out?

Spring Records in Fenton Mi. did our recording. Our 5 song EP has been selling very well; our full length should be out soon.

4. Have you guys had much success playing outside your hometown? If so, where?

Not too bad, we played a show in Battle Creek at Planet Rock and we felt very welcome. We sold a lot of shirts ad CDs at the show, that’s always good. Also the Double OO in Redford seems to do good for us.

5. Is it difficult to both play the drums and sing at the same time?

That’s the question I get asked most. Not really, I’ve been doing it for most of my drumming days (20 years) give or take a couple of bands.

6. What is your biggest influence as a band and why?

Like I said, Soul Side changed my life. Suicidal Tendencies help me through my teens. I think I try to put that in our music in hopes someone will feel that way about us.

7. I hear you have been involved with the Hood Core Music Alliance. Tell us a little about that.

J.J. of Grog has done a great job with Hood Core; Lots of good bands and good people. As long as we work together, it should do well for a lot of people.

8. Is it easy being both a hardcore punk band and being an otherwise socially responsible member of society (i.e. husband, father, laborer, etc.)?

I (Tony) have 6 kids and a wife of 15 years, Alan has one kid and a girlfriend, and Rob has a wife of 12 years. Our families are very supportive of the band. We try to take off one week a month for the family, but it’s hard, because we love to play out also.

9. What, do you feel, is the best way to get involved in and contribute to the local music scene?

We’ve started a monthly show at Cameron’s (our local spot) called, Saturday Night Hardcore. We’re trying to bring out of town acts to support our scene, and pick them up some more fans.

10. Have you been in any other bands before Death Invades Earth? If so, what were they?

Somewhat Slack was my other band that did well. Rob, was in a band called M.F.S. from the Flint area. Alan and myself were both in Empty Arms before D.I.E.

11. Do your wives, girlfriends, and kids enjoy your music (if they listen to it)?

Rob’s wife has missed 1 show since we’ve been a band. Alan’s girlfriend has been to a couple of shows and supports him mostly. My (Tony) wife has been to a few shows, and my kids love us and make every all ages shows we play.

12. How often does Death Invades Earth practice? Would you like to see more practice or do you think you can get by with less?

We practice one day a week, and I wish we could get one more day in, but one is better than none.

13. Is hardcore punk only good as a standalone genre or can metal, rockabilly or other elements be added without reducing the quality?

Myself, I think as long as the band is good, there shouldn’t be a problem. I just like to see a good tight band no matter what style.

14. Have you opened up for any particularly famous bands? If so, who were they?

The 80’s metal Detroit band, Halloween, is the biggest name we’ve open for, and it was a letdown.

15. What future plans do you guys have as a band?

Working on new songs, and doing what we do.

16. Do you guys harbor as bleak views on life as you do in some of your music?

The bleak part of our music is to get your attention; I guess the real message is between the lines. I try to be positive in a negative world, it’s tough, but I have to keep my head up for my kids.

17. Is it tough to get the ability to play shows in Detroit with its distance from Flint?

I think if we try harder, which we plan to, I think it will be easier. We just have to get our foot in the door.

18. Anything else you’d like to throw in?

We would like to thank all the clubs, bars, bands, and people we’ve meet so far, for the support you’ve given us. We hope to see you all again soon. And thank you for your time David; we appreciate what you’re doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment