About Me

My photo
Detroit, Michigan, United States
I'm a punk rock guru from Detroit. Part skinhead, part crusty, part metalhead, part hardcore kid, part party kid, 100% punk rocker.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Suppressulant- Powercore EP review


How rare is it that a fanzine such as this one (or one of this size, so to speak) gets a review project mailed to it?  It’s rather rare, but this was the first of two CDs mailed to me from just across the border.  Do the Canadians do everything better than the Americans?  Well, not everything; they did not succeed in trumping our armed forces or our bacon.  However, they have us beat for maple syrup and not pissing the rest of the world off.  Can they beat us for punk rock?  Perhaps, perhaps not.
If this EP were indicative of Canadian punk, I would relegate it to be inferior to American punk, and it would not be a close call.  No, this isn’t god-awful or dick-shrinkingly bad, but it leaves one wishing for more.  The sound is a little too lo-fi (it’s hard to hear much of anything) and the songs didn’t grab me.  I don’t know, maybe I totally missed something; I just didn’t get it, it didn’t attract my attention the way a good punk record usually does.  Vocals are very low-pitch and scruffy (which is awesome if you can hear it), guitars were low-tuned and choppy (again, not horrible), and the rhythm section kind of bumped along, keeping pace.
Overall, nothing stood out and I was left unimpressed.  Granted, this was a first EP; I hope the band steers themselves in a more positive direction, as I would like to have a good reason to cross the border more often than never.  Not indicative of castrating horror or orgasmic awesomeness, this falls into my “Meh.” pile.
-Aunty Social

No comments:

Post a Comment