About Me

My photo
Detroit, Michigan, United States
I'm a punk rock guru from Detroit. Part skinhead, part crusty, part metalhead, part hardcore kid, part party kid, 100% punk rocker.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Terrordactyls- Unknown Terror 7" review


The Terrordactyls- Unknown Terror 7” review
Being a kid from the digital age, I find it tremendously odd when a metal album comes out on vinyl at all (metal-heads are usually a bit less idealistic than the punks, not that there’s anything wrong with that), and to see it on a 7” record is even weirder, given the average length of metal songs.  Regardless, as soon as I heard this band had members of In Defence and played straight-up thrash, I knew that it didn’t matter one bit what format the record came out on.  It was set to be pretty good.  Did it live up to the hype that I had preconceptually given it?  After a spin or two, I would have my answer.
The first song “Straight Edge Kids at the Liquor Store” takes up a whole side of the EP, and it’s well worth an entire side of a record.  The song is one of the best, most refined, most captivating I have heard come from a metal band in a very long time.  I’m talking levels of attention-grabbing near “Painkiller”, “Iron Maiden”, and “Angel of Death”.  That’s how good this song is.  It’s got the thrashing speed, both on drums and the guitars, and the vocals are straight youth crew style singing, and surprisingly, it works here, better than it would any other thrash band.  However, add in the gang vocals for the chorus, and you can see the members are very influenced by these youth crew bands.  Shit, sounds good to me!  Next was “Dude-geoisie, Oppressors of the Bro-letariat”, and while this one was shorter, it still packed the same punch-y vibe the previous song brought; though this song wasn’t quite as good as the first, it’s still pretty fucking good- I prefer to think of it as the epilogue to the last song, at least a bit.  Concluding this metallic EP was “Chemical Toilet”, which, while fast, seemed a bit more mid-tempo than the other two gems.  Too, it accompanied more gang vocals this time around, though I could not complain.  It was still a gnarly song, but I wasn’t as wowed as I was with the first two.  Regardless, this one still trumps “Between the Hammer and the Anvil”.  That’s something!
Thrash-tards, crossover cretins, and putrid punks alike ought to love this EP.  Speed, hilarity, gang vocals, low cost… what the fuck else do you want!?  It’s all here- buy or die.
-Aunty Social

No comments:

Post a Comment